Worried about money?

There’s lots we can do to help. Find out what support is on offer.

Streetworks licence (Section 50)

The right to excavate the highway can be extended to any private individual, developer or contractor on application to the Highway Authority for a Street Works Licence. The licence grants temporary authority to excavate the highway for the duration of those works. 

The need to obtain a street works licence applies to any person or organisation (other than anyone acting under a statutory right) who wishes to place, retain and thereafter inspect, maintain, adjust, repair, alter or renew apparatus, or change its position or remove it from the highway.

Before submitting your application, please consult with our Planning team to establish whether or not planning permission is required for the work.

Please note: the term 'Highway' refers to a road, verge, footway, public footpath or bridleway.

Section 58

Work is not allowed on some roads in the borough due to Section 58 restrictions. View information on Section 58 to see if there is a restriction in force on the road you wish to work on before completing a Section 50 application.


Please note: fees must be paid with the application:

New apparatus:

  • administration fees - £350
  • capitalised fee in lieu of annual charge - £100
  • inspection fee for each 200m length - £100
  • total fee - £550.

Existing apparatus:

  • administration fees - £250
  • inspection fee for each 200m length - £100
  • total fee - £350.

Please phone 01952 384000 to make payment.

Applying for a Streetworks Licence

Please ensure that you have read the guidance notes before you make your application.

The following must be included with your application:

  • complete Section 50 application form
  • make payment via 01952 384000
  • consult with Telford & Wrekin Council Development Management team if works are connected to a new development (if applicable)
  • provide a Section 106 agreement if works are new sewer connections (if applicable)
  • provide a detailed plan of proposal clearly showing the proposed location (and route if applicable)
  • provide 1:500 min scale plan of proposed new apparatus (if applicable)
  • provide a copy of your company’s registration or official letterhead
  • provide a copy of your Public Liability Insurance for £5 million cover (minimum)
  • obtain plans of all utilities plant and submit copies to this department
  • provide copies of Supervisor/Ganger NRSWA cards
  • provide a Method Statement if works involve excavation depths of over 1.5m (if applicable)
  • complete traffic management application form (if applicable)
  • provide a comprehensive Traffic/Pedestrian Management Plan complying to Chapter 8 of Highways Act (if applicable).

Application forms

Completed application forms should be sent to streetworks@telford.gov.uk or include the cheque by post to:

Telford & Wrekin Council
Darby House
TF3 4JA.

Tacit consent

It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within twenty eight days of making your application please contact us.

Applying for a highway closure

If you will need to close any part of the public highway to carry out your work, you will need to complete an application for a closure of the highway.

View information on highway closure applications

Construction works

If the development is to involve noisy construction works for a prolonged period the applicant is also requested to contact Environmental Protection to discuss the nature of the construction phase. The reasoning behind this is to establish a site contact and discuss appropriate working etc.


Environmental Protection team
Neighbourhood and Enforcement Services
TF3 4JA.

Telephone: 01952 381818
Email: Environmentalprotectionteam@telford.gov.uk

Last updated: 05/09/2022 11:12

  1. Introduction
  2. Contact