Banner, Bunting or Christmas Lights on or over the highway

The erection of banners, bunting or seasonal decorations on or over the public will require a licence from us under Section 178 of the Highways Act 1980. This is to ensure they are installed, operated and removed safely.

Please ensure you have the following as you will need it for your application:

  • a copy of your public liability insurance for a minimum of £5,000,000
  • a sketch plan of the site
  • measurements of the banner (if applicable)
  • a £42 administration fee must be paid online with the application.

You will also need to have spoken with our Street Lighting team before submitting your application if you intend to install onto a street lighting column.

Tacit consent

Please be aware that the Council may not approve your application form. For this reason it is recommended that you contact us to check if the activity will be able to go ahead if you have not heard back from the local authority within 10 working days of making your application.

Apply online using our online form to erect a banner, bunting or Christmas Lights on or over the public highway

Last updated: 02/02/2022 13:51

  1. Introduction
  2. Contact