Pleasure boat licence

Anyone who wishes to be in charge of or navigate a pleasure boat or vessel for the purpose of letting it out for hire to members of the public or to carry passengers for hire must obtain the appropriate licences from either the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) or in some cases the council.

Telford & Wrekin Council issues pleasure boat licences under the Public Health Acts Amendment Act 1907 section 94.

This covers vessels carrying no more than 12 passengers on voyages that are at no time outside categorised waters, as defined in the relevant Merchant Shipping Notice (MSN 1776 (M))

It also covers the hiring out of water-bound pleasure craft, including sailboards, rowing boats, canoes, motor boats, pedalos and larger boats.

Regulation summary

Relevant legislation:

Application evaluation process

Please note that applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
New applications must be submitted with the fee of £380. Renewal applications must be submitted with a fee of £365. Both applications must be accompanied by a certificate of Public Liability insurance and a satisfactory marine surveyor's report.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. Tacit consent means that if we have not dealt with applications within the target period then the application can be deemed to have been granted/approved.

Target completion period

Applications would normally be determined within 84 days of receipt of all the information necessary to determine the application.


Failed Application Redress

Please contact the council in the first instance, using the contact details above.
If you wish to appeal against a decision, you may do so two days after the decision to a Magistrates' court

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

If you wish to appeal against a decision, you may do so two days after the decision to a magistrates' court. You must give 24 hours' notice of your intention to appeal.

Consumer Complaint

If you are a customer of a pleasure boat business, you should first contact the operator, preferably in writing, with proof of your complaint. If that does not work and if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Redress

If there are problems such as noise or pollution or if one licence holder complains about another, please use the contact details below.

Public registers or databases

For details on the public register please contact us.

Trade associations

British Marine Inland Boating (Formerly Association of Pleasure Craft Operators).

Further information

No licence is required under s94 of the Public Health Acts Amendment Act 1907 in respect of pleasure boats and pleasure vessels on any inland waterway owned or managed by the British Waterways Board.

Last updated: 01/04/2019 14:08

  1. Introduction
  2. Eligibility
  3. How do I apply?
  4. Contact