Worried about money?

There’s lots we can do to help. Find out what support is on offer.

Mobile homes, caravan and camping sites

The Mobile Homes Act 2013 introduces new powers and duties for the local authority in respect of residential park home and caravan sites which are occupied by persons other than the site licence holder and/or their employees.

The Act gives the local authority:

  • powers to charge fees for licences
  • powers to refuse licences
  • new enforcement powers to tackle breach of licence conditions
  • a duty to maintain and publish a register of site rules.

Useful information

Why do sites need a licence?

The Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 prohibits the use of land as a caravan site unless the occupier holds a site licence issued by the local authority. A caravan is any structure designed or adapted for human habitation which is capable of being moved from one place to another (whether by being towed, or by being transported on a motor vehicle or trailer) and any motor vehicle so designed or adapted, but not railway rolling stock which is for the time being on rails forming part of a railway system, or a tent. If you want to site a caravan on land you need a licence unless one of the following exceptions applies:

  • incidental use within the curtilage of a dwelling
  • a single caravan for not more than two nights and 28 days in any 12 months
  • holdings of five acres or more if not used for more than 28 days in any 12 months and a maximum of three caravans at a time
  • sites occupied and supervised by exempted organisations and used for the purpose of recreation
  • sites of up to five caravans certified by an exempt organisation and which are for members for recreational purposes
  • meetings organised by exempted organisations
  • sites occupied by a local authority
  • sites for temporary and special purposes such as agricultural and forestry workers, building and engineering sites and travelling showmen
  • gypsy sites occupied by county councils.

*Exempt organisations include The Camping Club of Great Britain and Ireland, The Scout Association, The Girl Guides Association and The Caravan Club.

Licence applications

Every site licence will have site licence conditions attached to it. These conditions set out standards governing the layout of the park, provision of facilities and the maintenance of the park. The Local Authority is responsible for ensuring that site licence conditions are met by the park owner.

The Licence will set out conditions which cover the following matters:

  • number and type of homes
  • site layout and plan
  • density, parking and spacing between homes
  • roads, gateways and overhead cables
  • footpaths, pavements and hardstandings
  • lighting and electrical supply
  • supply and storage of gas
  • water supply, drainage and refuse
  • fire safety measures.

Different types of sites will have different sets of conditions:

New charging policy

In most cases a fee is chargeable for administration of functions under the Mobile Homes Act 2013 in relation to:

  • annual licence fee
  • new licences, transfer and amendments
  • registering site rules, etc.

Download the Mobile Homes, Caravan and Camping Sites Charging Policy

We aim to process the licence within two months of receiving a complete application, or within six weeks of the proposed licence holder receiving planning consent if the licence application has been submitted before this. In some circumstances this may be extended, we will write to you if this will happen.

Site rules for residential caravan sites

The site owner may set site rules on residential caravan sites. The Council does not enforce these rules, although some rules may be a duplicate of the site licence conditions. The site rules are part of the contract between the home owner and site owner, and supplement the Mobile Homes Act Agreement.

The Council is required to keep and publish a register of site rules. We will update this page when we are notified by site owners that rules are in force. The rules that appear below have been written by the site owners, and not Telford & Wrekin Council.

Download the site rules for residential caravan sites

Fit and Proper Person

The Mobile Homes (Requirement for Manager of Site to be Fit and Proper Person) (England) Regulations 2020.

The ‘Fit and Proper’ requirement is to ensure that those responsible for operating the site licence and managing the site are of sufficient integrity and good character to be involved in the management of a regulated site for mobile homes and that as such they do not pose a risk to the welfare or safety of persons occupying mobile homes on the site. These Regulations do not apply to family-occupied sites which are not operated on a commercial basis.

Download Telford & Wrekin Council's Fit and Proper Register

Fit and Proper Person Application

The Council is required to keep and publish a register of Fit and Proper Persons. Once entered on the Register, details of the fit and proper person will remain there for 5 years. 

When considering whether a person is ‘fit and proper’ the local authority must have regard to the suitability of the person concerned (‘the relevant person’). The

The overriding consideration being whether the relevant person is able to secure the proper management of the site. This includes, but is not limited to;

  • compliance with the site licence;
  • the long term maintenance of the site;
  • whether the relevant person has a sufficient level of competence to manage the site;
  • the management structure and funding arrangements for the site (or proposed management structure and funding arrangements.

In order for the fit and proper person to be included on the Register, the site owner must submit a completed application form for inclusion on the Register, provide all the required information and pay the appliation fee. The completed applicaiton form and supporting documents should be sent by email to licensing@telford.gov.uk or by post to:

Telford & Wrekin Council, Public Protection, Darby House, Lawn Central, Telford, TF3 4JA.

As part of the application you will need to submit a basic criminal record check for the proposed fit and proper person. This can be obtained from the Disclosure and Barring Service. Visit the GOV.UK website for more information about basic DBS checks

For more information on the requirements for the fit and proper person and the appeal process, please view the Council's Fit and Proper Policy. 

Download the Fit and Proper Policy

Download the application form

The fee for a Fit and Proper Application is £330. Please visit the Council's e-store payment system to pay.

Download the Fees and Charges Policy

Public register

Download the public register for caravan sites, for information about all site licences issued by Telford & Wrekin Council.

Useful links

Trade associations

Last updated: 23/08/2023 12:07

  1. Introduction
  2. Eligibility
  3. How do I apply?
  4. Contact