Worried about money?

There’s lots we can do to help. Find out what support is on offer.

Petroleum storage

We are the Petroleum Enforcing Authority (PEA) and have a responsibility to ensure that anyone dispensing petrol or storing it in significant amounts does so with a high level of regard for public safety and protection of the environment. In particular, businesses operating filling stations are required to comply with the Dangerous Substances and Explosives Atmospheres Regulations 2002 (DSEAR).

Petrol filling stations

For many years in the UK, petroleum storage at filling stations (including private dispensing) has required a licence issued by the relevant local authority. Licensing was replaced in 2014 by a scheme based on Petroleum Storage Certificates (PSCs) issued under the Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014 (PCRs).

Visit the Legislation website to view the Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014 (PCRs)

When an existing licence expires it will be replaced by a PSC. These are specific to the premises where petrol is stored and dispensed. PSCs do not have an expiry date and remain in force until certain (notifiable) changes to the storage arrangements take place or until the site stops operating for more than 12 months.

There is a fee payable to the PEA by the person or business carrying out the dispensing activity at the site (referred to as the ‘keeper’). The keeper must pay an annual fee based on the maximum quantity of petrol stored at the site. The keeper can choose to pay for up to 10 years in advance.

Domestic and non-workplace storage

Provided that it is kept in a suitable place (See Schedule 2 of the PCRs for information about suitable storage), up to 30 litres of petrol may be stored in suitable portable containers or a single demountable fuel tank.

A person keeping over 30 litres but less than 275 litres must notify the PEA in writing with the name of the occupier, address of the premises and confirmation that the petrol is stored in accordance with regulations. See Schedule 2 of the PCRs for information about suitable storage.

The Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014 retain a licensing regime for domestic and non-workplace petrol storage where it is kept for private use only. A person keeping in excess of 275 litres will require a licence. The PEA may issue and renew these for up to 3 years. They are issued to the licensee personally and are not transferable.

Please note: further to the above the site may need a permit to store carry out the activity of the unloading of petrol into stationary storage tanks and filling of vehicle petrol tanks activity as defined under Schedule 1, part 2, Section 1.2, Part B of The Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016.

Further guidance

The Health and Safety Executive is the government agency with national responsibility for overseeing compliance with DSEAR.

Visit the Health and Safety Executive website for additional information about petroleum storage

If you need to make an enquiry about PSCs or storing petroleum in Telford, please email complete our online form:

Petroleum Enquiry

Trade associations

Last updated: 08/12/2023 14:20

  1. Introduction
  2. How do I apply?
  3. Contact