Your weekly food waste recycling service
Food is one of our most precious resources, so we urge residents to buy what you need and eat what you buy, and to donate, compost or recycle what you can't use up.
For more information and some top tips on reducing your food waste please visit the Love Food Hate Waste website.
Since introducing the free weekly food waste collection service in September 2019, thousands of tonnes of food waste have been recycled to create energy for homes and fertiliser for farms.
Food recycling is great for the planet, collected weekly and makes more room in your red top bin, if you fill your outdoor caddy before collection day you can order another for free Visit our online form to request an additional food waste caddy.
Food waste is collected on the same day as your normal recycling and rubbish collections, just pop your caddy in front of your other containers by 7am so that the crews can see it.
By recycling your food waste, this can be turned into something useful, it is taken to a special processing (which is based in the Midland's), where it can used to generate energy to power homes. It also produces a liquid fertiliser that can be used in farming, for more information about food waste recycling you can download our food waste services document.
How to use the caddies
- You can line your food waste caddy with newspaper, kitchen roll, nothing at all or you can purchase compostable caddy liners which are widely available in supermarkets and discount shops.
- If you use a shared outdoor food waste silver top wheelie bin (e.g. if you live in flats), you can order replacement liners online, please select the property type option on the form called 'flats'.
- When your kitchen caddy is full, transfer the contents into your outdoor caddy.
- Alternatively, if you don't have space for a kitchen caddy or prefer not to use one, you can opt to transfer your food waste directly to your outside caddy.
- Put your outside caddy out weekly with your other containers on your scheduled collection day - all containers need to be out by 7am. Please note that food waste is collected by a different crew/wagon to your other waste/recycling collections, so please ensure your caddy is presented so it is easy for the crew to spot.
- If you already receive an assisted collection service, please leave your outdoor caddy with your other recycling and rubbish containers for collection as normal.
- Below is a list of what can/can't be recycled in your food caddy. If your caddy contains the wrong things, the crew will not be able to collect it. If this is the case, they will leave a hanger on your caddy to explain the problem and what you need to do.
What can you put in your caddy?
- Food cooked and uncooked.
- Eggs and egg shells.
- Meat and fish.
- Fruit and vegetable.
- Bread and pastries.
- Tea (bagged or loose) and coffee grounds.
- Coffee filters.
- Mouldy or out of date food.
- Sauce's (i.e. packet/jar/condiments).
- Pet food.
- All uneaten food including plate scrapings.
- Liquids (i.e. squash, fizzy pop, orange juice, milk).
- Oils and fats.
- Plastic bags.
- Packaging of any sort.
- Animal bedding.
- Animal waste/faeces.
- Cardboard and paper (please note: you can use a small amount of paper to line your caddy).
Last updated: 17/11/2023 13:15