As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and with the government restrictions in place for public meetings and gatherings, the Council is unable to hold its Planning Committee meetings in public. Instead, following changes to government legislation, these meetings are now being undertaken remotely through an audio stream which is broadcast live through the Council's You Tube channel, visit the Councils YouTube Channel to watch live Planning Committee meetings.
The procedures as set out below still apply. Site visits are not undertaken and the schedule/timing of planning committee meetings now vary.
Planning Committee procedures
Your application may go to Planning Committee, a committee of members, if any of the following apply:
- a proposal that involves the Council as either applicant or landowner (or has a financial interest) and the proposal is a major application (residential – 10 or more units, development over 0.5ha or non residential – creation of 1,000m2 gross floor area/development over 1ha excluding reserved matters applications)
- if submitted by or on behalf of assistant director or above or an elected member
- if formally requested by the relevant ward member or relevant parish council
- if a departure from policy and officers are recommending approval
- if a S106 relating to new financial contributions/affordable housing provision
- the number and nature of representations from the public against officer recommendation is, in the opinion of the service delivery manager - Development Management and/or Area Planning Officer, sufficient to require that the application should be determined by Planning Committee.
About the Planning Committee
The Planning Committee comprises of:
- a chair
- a vice chair
- seven other borough councillors.
The Planning Committee meetings are held in public and they meet on a four week cycle, where public speaking allows for some representations to be made for a period of three minutes.
What happens if my application is going to be considered by the Planning Committee
Visit Planning Online to find out if your application is going to be considered by the Planning Committee, you will not be automatically informed, it is your responsibility to check, you can also find out by speaking to a member of the Development Management team team on 01952 380380.
- An officer prepares a report and makes a recommendation to the committee, which is available five working days prior to the meeting.
- Further representations are permitted by members of the public up until 24 hours prior to the committee and these must be made by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and labelled ‘urgent for planning committee’, representations made after this time may not be reported.
- On occasions a site visit is conducted by the members of the committee. Whilst members of the public are permitted to attend the visit, no engagement or debate is allowed as this would prejudice the predetermination of the application.
How can I register my interest in speaking at the Planning Committee
If you wish to speak at the Planning Committee you need to register your interest to the Democratic Services team, no later than 5pm, two working days before the meeting:
Telephone: 01952 383205
By letter to:
Telford & Wrekin Council
Last updated: 04/03/2021 15:08